Sunday 24 March 2019

Federer survives a scare at Miami Open


The three-time Miami Open champion (2005, 2006 and 2017), Roger Federer survived a big upset in his opening match against Radu Albot at the Miami Open on Saturday March 23rd.
He rallied from a set down (first set) and nearly a break down in the second set but managed to break Albot in the last set to win 6-3, making the game 4-6, 7-6, 6-3.
The Moldovan, Albot, who got his first ATP title just a few weeks ago in Delray Beach, came into Miami on a ranking of No. 46. He came in full swing against Federer (World No.5), breaking him in the first game.
After the game which lasted for two hours and eight minutes, Federer had this to say, “I was very much tested by Albot. It wasn’t easy”. “He got off to a good start and I struggled early on with decision-making and just getting used to the stadium, I guess, and the conditions, but it was the same for him, really, so no excuse there. But it was just difficult”.
“I felt the first couple of sets there were like seven important shots or points to be played, and they all seemed to go his way, and I felt like that’s why he was in the lead, really, until 6-4 4 all. He’s had a good last few weeks and you could feel it. He has a great attitude and knows what he wants to do out there. It felt like he was the guy with the clear plan, and I didn’t have it. I also started forgetting things my coach told me. It got really complicated in my head. But I played some good tennis at the end.”
Federer believes that a long match at the new Miami Open courts will help him in future games: “Today’s match really helped because I spent a lot of time on the court and got used to the conditions. I don’t think it’s necessarily slow, I think the ball travels through the air slower and the kicker doesn’t kick as much as it did in Indian Wells. These sudden changes are already tricky for every player, but especially for those who really got used to the conditions in Indian Wells the last few weeks.”
Federer will meet Filip Krajinovic in the next match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

ChatGPT Overview

ChatGPT is a conversational AI model developed by OpenAI. It is based on the transformer architecture and has been trained on a diverse rang...